Your body produces many hormones which work together to support correct bodily function. When you have too much or too little of a hormone, this imbalance causes weight gain, acne, and other disruptive symptoms and issues. At Prima Health Clinic in Garland, Texas, Dr. Thuy Nguyen and Dr. Linh Nguyen treat women and men with estrogen dominance. If you’re experiencing fatigue, weight gain, or changes to your libido, call or schedule an appointment online for expert diagnosis and hormone balancing treatments.
What is estrogen dominance?
Estrogen is the female sex hormone that stimulates reproductive development and contributes to a woman’s menstrual cycle. Men also have a certain amount of estrogen, but at much lower levels than women.
Estrogen dominance is a condition where your estrogen levels are too high compared to other reproductive hormones. In addition to producing too much estrogen and having insufficient levels of other sex hormones like progesterone or testosterone, you may also be exposed to too much xenoestrogens. Xenoestrogens are foreign chemicals that mimic the functions of natural estrogen.
When you have abnormally high levels of foreign or natural estrogen, you may experience symptoms including:
- Abnormal growths like fibroids, cysts, and tumors
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysmorphic disorder
- Heavy and irregular periods
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
Many of these symptoms are accepted as being part of the female experience. However, they also indicate a hormonal imbalance.
What causes estrogen dominance?
Estrogen dominance develops when your body produces too much estrogen or if you have low levels of progesterone. This could be caused by your genetics and family medical history, but many lifestyle factors also contribute to this hormone imbalance.
Some of the lifestyle and environmental factors that can lead to estrogen dominance include:
- Being overweight or obese
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Consuming too much caffeine
- Certain birth control methods
- Elevated stress levels
- Inadequate amount of quality sleep
- Exposure to certain chemicals and toxins
- Eating animal products that were given growth hormones
How is estrogen dominance treated?
The doctors at Prima Health Clinic run extensive blood work to diagnose estrogen dominance before creating a treatment plan to regulate your hormones. They customize treatment plans for each patient and may include lifestyle modifications and medication to restore hormonal balance.
In addition to medications, they often suggest nutritional supplements and vitamins to ensure your body has all the nutrients it needs to function correctly. The doctors often recommend SpectraCell and NutrEval® products and testing to see if you have nutritional deficiencies. You may also benefit from detox programs like Ortho Molecular Products Core Restore Liver Detox Program to reduce stress on your liver.
In addition to medication, your doctor may suggest the following lifestyle modifications:
- Change your diet to include more fiber, fresh vegetables, and fruits and less animal and soy-based products
- Add 30 minutes of moderate exercise to your daily routine
- Stop using plastic and switch to glass storage containers and water bottles
- Reduce stress with yoga and mindfulness programs
If you’re experiencing symptoms of estrogen dominance, call or make an appointment online today to have your hormone levels assessed and start a treatment plan to regulate your hormones and improve your quality of life.